The potency of solar energy in Indonesia is abundance and development of Solar Power Plants is ongoing in the aims for the utilization of solar energy as an alternative energy to overcome crisis energy.
Why Solar Power?
Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM), Jero Wacik said, the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) is focused in developing alternative energy sources because oil prices tend to be more expensive and environmentally damaging.
Jero Wacik gave an example, the price of electricity with petroleum as the fuel to generate electricity has reached 40 cents per kwh, while the solar cell is only 20 cents per kwh.
In U.S. cost of solar electricity is still falling. In raw numbers, that’s a steep slide from an average of 21 cents in 2010 to only 11 cents by the end of 2013. That’s now less than the average price of electricity in the U.S., which is about 12 cents per kWh, according to the Energy Information Administration. (Read more: Cost of Solar Power Still Falling)
Besides its unlimited amount, its utilization does not cause pollution destroying environment.
The areas not yet enjoying electricity are remote areas far from power plant, then PLTS that can be built almost in all locations are exact alternative to develop.
The potency of solar energy in Indonesia
The potency of solar energy in Indonesia is abundance,
- approximately 4.8 KWh/m2 or
- equivalent to 112.000 GWp,
- however it has only been utilized about 10 MWp.
Solar Power Plant (SPP) Development Projects in Indonesia
PLTS Karangasem & Bangli are the First Largest Solar Power in Indonesia:
In Indonesia, the first – largest solar power with 2 × 1 MW capacity is located on the island of Bali, exactly in the regency of Karangasem and Bangli.
Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM), Jero Wacik, inaugurated the commencement of construction of the project PLTS 2 × 1 MW in Karangasem, Monday, February 25, 2013.
Project stands on an area of 1.5 hectares with 100 solar cell panels. The investment value reached USD 26 billion.
This PLTS development carried out by PT Solar Energy INDOTAMA that management will be handed over to the GOI Karangasem regency. The company is part of the business of PT LEN Industries Limited based in Bandung, West Java.
80 units of SPP with a total power capacity of 140 MW:
Government opens tender for as many as 80 units of solar power plants (SPP) which is located in Indonesia with a total power capacity of 140 MW. (antaranews | 4-NOV-2013)
Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources is targeting announcement of winners in December 2013.
Construction PLTS for six months, so the middle of 2014 has begun to operate.
PLTS investment estimated at Rp20 billion per MW outside the land or Rp2, 8 trillion to 140 MW capacity. Meanwhile, the land required to generate one MW of about 1.2 ha.
PLTS with photovoltaic modules without the battery will operate only during the day.
PLTS majority located in the eastern Indonesian Papua, West Papua, Maluku, Sulawesi, and NTT.
Related Links :
- Introduction on Solar Energy and Solar Power Plants, http://wp.me/p3X7Lh-sH
References / Read More:
- Cost of Solar Power Still Falling, Falling, Falling (http://www.triplepundit.com/2014/02/25-million-doe-funding-for-low-cost-solar-power/ )
- Kyocera builds massive solar farm, tourist destination (http://www.japantrends.com/tag/technology/ )
- Bali Dapat Pembangkit Listrik Tenaga Surya, http://www.tempo.co/read/news/2013/02/25/058463709/Bali-Dapat-Pembangkit-Listrik-Tenaga-Surya
- Solar Energy for Indonesian PLTS , http://www.esdm.go.id/index-en/54-articles/5803-solar-energy-for-indonesian-plts.html?tmpl=component&print=1&page=
- Pemerintah buka lelang pembangunan PLTS 140 MW , 4 November 2013 , http://www.antaranews.com/berita/403521/pemerintah-buka-lelang-pembangunan-plts-140-mw
- SOLAR , http://holbert.faculty.asu.edu/eee463/SOLAR.HTML
- Solar power, http://www.alstom.com/power/renewables/solar-power/
- Concentrated Solar Thermal Systems , http://www.greenrhinoenergy.com/solar/technologies/cst_systems.php
- Shandong Zhongjing Solar Energy Co., Ltd., http://zhongjing-cnsdpv.en.made-in-china.com/product-group/SqdQGKwUrmWC/Home-solar-power-supply-system-catalog-1.html