A data center is a facility used to house computer systems and associated components, such as telecommunications and storage systems.
It generally includes
- redundant or backup power supplies,
- redundant data communications connections,
- environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire suppression) and
- various security devices.
Large data centers are industrial scale operations using as much electricity as a small town and sometimes are a significant source of air pollution in the form of diesel exhaust.
Data center services
Data center services encompass all of the technology and facility-related components or activities that support the projects and operation of a data center, which is an environment that provides processing, storage, networking, management and the distribution of data within an enterprise.
Generally, data center services fall into two categories: services provided to a data center or services provided from a data center. Services to a data center can include any services that help to plan, design, manage, support, update or modernize data center equipment, software or facilities. Services from a data center can encompass any compute service that data centers deliver, such as data backup and archiving, managed e-mail or cloud computing.
Types of data center services
- Support services
- Technical consulting services
- Outsourcing services
- Application services
- Technical training services
- Financing and leasing services
Data center tiers
The Telecommunications Industry Association is a trade association accredited by ANSI (American National Standards Institute).
In 2005 it published ANSI/TIA-942 Telecommunications Infrastructure Standard for Data Centers, which defined four levels (called tiers) of data centers in a thorough, quantifiable manner.
TIA-942 was amended in 2008 and again in 2010.
TIA-942:Data Center Standards Overview describes the requirements for the data center infrastructure.
The simplest is a Tier 1 data center, which is basically a server room, following basic guidelines for the installation of computer systems.
The most stringent level is a Tier 4 data center, which is designed to host mission critical computer systems, with fully redundant subsystems and compartmentalized security zones controlled by biometric access controls methods.
Another consideration is the placement of the data center in a subterranean context, for data security as well as environmental considerations such as cooling requirements
Data Center Provider in Indonesia
Indosat Data Center
- Indosat Data Center is located in Indosat HQ Building in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- It is located in strategic area (Ring 1 Area of Security Layer) near Indonesian Presidential Palace.
- 500 sqm facilities specially designed for equipment operation.
- Full connectivity with Global Partner (BT,AT&T,C&W) and Domestic Operator (Telkom, Icon+, XL, LintasArta, CBN, Moratel, Biznet).
- Earthquake protection, Bullet/Bomb Proof, Special constructed for Telecommunication Facility.
Biznet Data Center
Biznet Data Center (BDC) owns and operates two (2) data centers in Indonesia. The Jakarta and Cimanggis facilities support fully redundant operations with greater than 7,000 square meter of raised floor space. BDC offers secure data center services such as closed rack apace ,secure suite space, and managed services to support your requirements.
BDC’s first data center, Biznet MegaPOP Jakarta commenced operation in 2001. Located in heart of Jakarta’s Central Business District, the facility is an N+1 (redundant) standard for power and cooling systems to support your 24x7x365 operations. The Jakarta data center is a high quality Tier II, carrier neutral facility offering reliable, scalable data center solutions, designed to meet financial institution and telecommunication company’s specifications.
Biznet Technovillage, Cimanggis launched on July 18th, 2012 is an integrated business facility with a Tier-3 green Data Center, grade A office space and full service business center. The high-tech business facility is available for enterprises, small, and medium companies.
Biznet Technovillage offers high quality, reliable, and scalable solutions, with a strategic location, located thirty five (35) KM South of Jakarta.
Equinix Indonesia Data Centers
Today, Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) operates International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in 31 markets across 15 countries in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific.
PT Data Center Infrastructure Indonesia (PT DCI), in partnership with Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq:EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, on May 14, 2013 announced the opening of its data center facility located at Cibitung, West Java. Built and operated by PT DCI, the new data center will provide premium interconnection and data center services for local and global customers through Platform Equinix™
Located at a prime industry complex within West Java, the new data center will provide significant capacity of approximately 65,000 gross square feet.
The partnership, which was first announced in October 2012, will provide Indonesian customers with access to 4,000 enterprises, cloud, digital content and financial companies, including over 900 network service providers that currently are housed in Equinix data centers around the world.
Equinix’s global customers will also be able to extend their market reach into Indonesia while enjoying a similar level of availability and reliability in Indonesia through PT DCI, as they do within Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®)
Telkomsigma Data Center
Currently PT Sigma Cipta Caraka (Telkomsigma) has three business lines namely:
- system integration
- data center, and
- managed serviced
with each contributing 50%, 30%, and 20%.
Data centers accounted for the highest profit margin of 30%.
Currently Telkomsigma has three data centers in the country in three different locations namely Jakarta, Serpong, and Sentul with occupancy of 75%, and in 2015 is expected occupacy of 100%.
Telkomsigma three largest customers for the use of the data center is the banking, telecommunications and transport.
PT Sigma Cipta Caraka (Telkomsigma) targeting the construction of three new data centers to be operational in 2015 with initial occupancy of 60%. Bisnis Indonesia reported on Tuesday (02/18/2014).
This data center with an area of over 100,000 m2.
These three data centers located in,
- Balikpapan (tier 3 specification, with an area of 40,000 m2)
- Bekasi (tier 4 specification, with an area of 30,000 m2)
- Batam (tier 3 specification, with an area of 1.000 m2)
In 2013, Telkomsigma business get as much as 34% market share of data center .
In 2014, Telkomsigma business is expected to get as much as 43% market share of the data center.
And by additional of new three data centers in 2015, Telkomsigma business is expected to get as much as 60% market share.
By the new three data centers are expected for contributing 50% of the Telkomsigma company’s revenue.
- Data center , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center
- Data center services , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center_services
- Data center tiers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center#Data_center_tiers
- Data Center – Sigma perbesar okupansi 2015, Bisnis Indonesia, page 23, 18-Feb-2014.
- Indosat data center, http://www.indosatsingapore.com/wholesale-solution/indosat-data-center.html
- Biznet data center, http://www.biznetdatacenter.com/
- Indonesia Data Centers & Internet Exchange Services , http://www.equinix.com/locations/indonesia-colocation/indonesia-data-centers
- PT DCI and Equinix Announce Opening of New Data Center in Indonesia , http://www.equinix.com/company/news-and-events/press-releases/pt-dci-and-equinix-announce-new-data-center-in-indonesia/