“Project Quality Management System on Jacket Construction of Oil and Gas Platform”
Here, Author would like to share about why, what and how to establish, implement, document, and maintain the Project Quality Management System on Construction Work of Jackets, as part of Wellhead Platform EPCI Project Contract for Onshore / Offshore Oil and Gas Field Development.
WHAT IS JACKET OF OIL AND GAS PLATFORM ?
There are several types of oil and gas platforms and drilling rigs in offshore fields. (see Picture-1, there are: 1, 2) conventional fixed platforms; 3) compliant tower; 4, 5) vertically moored tension leg and mini-tension leg platform; 6) Spar ; 7,8) Semi-submersibles ; 9) Floating production, storage, and offloading facility (FPSO); 10) sub-sea completion and tie-back to host facility)
Picture – Schematic of typical Gulf of Mexico offshore oil or gas platform (Courtesy of NOAA Fisheries)
Fixed platforms are built on concrete or steel legs, or both, anchored directly onto the seabed, supporting a deck with space for drilling rigs, production facilities and crew quarters. Fixed platforms are economically feasible for installation in water depths up to about 520 m (1,710 ft). Such platforms are, by virtue of their immobility, designed for very long term use (for instance the Hibernia platform). Various types of structure are used, steel jacket, concrete caisson, floating steel and even floating concrete.
Steel jackets are vertical sections made of tubular steel members, and are usually piled into the seabed.
A jacket is a steel substructure for an offshore installation. It is a complex construction, and designing one takes several months of engineering, 3D modelling, computations, design and method work.
Typical Arrangement of Jacket Structure:
- Legs and braces
- Jacket frame
Picture : “Jackets – a closer look” (Courtesy of KVAERNER)
Applicable Codes/ Standards:
- API RP-2A, 2B, 5B, AISC etc
- AWS D1.1
- Applicable NACE, API, ASTM standards
JACKET AND APPURTENANCES CONSTRUCTION
Processes and Phases in Oil and Gas Fields Development EPCI Projects :
Processes and phases are two different aspects of project. A project may be divided into interdependent processes and into phases.
Project phases divide the project life cycle into manageable sections, sch as conception, development. Realization and termination.
Project processes (or Project Works) are those processes that are necessary for managing the project as well as those that are necessary to realize the project’s product.
Jacket Construction is a project processes/work of an oil and gas field development phase project.
Question : Why it is necessary to manage project processes within a quality management system?
Answer : In order to achieve project objectives.
How to develop Project Management System for Jacket Construction ?
ISO9001:2008 International Standard promotes the adoption of a process approach when developing, implementing and improving the effectiveness of a quality management system, to enhance customer satisfaction by meeting customer requirements.
In addition, the methodology known as “Plan-Do-Check-Act” (PDCA) can be applied to all processes.
The project quality management system should be aligned, as far as is possible, with the quality management system of the originating organization (perennial quality management system).
For an organization to function effectively in executing Construction Works, it has to determine and manage numerous linked activities by establish, implement, document and maintain the Project Quality Management System, such as:
- Project Manual / Project Quality Plan (PQP)
- Onshore Construction Quality Control Plan (QCP)
- Inspection and Test Plan (ITP)
- Fabrication Procedures
- Control Forms for Project
- Quality Records
Project Quality Plan (PQP)
Document setting out the specific quality practices, resources and sequence of activities relevant to a particular Product, Project or CONTRACT.
Quality Control Plan (QCP)
An Onshore Construction Quality Control Plan (QCP) document setting out the specific quality practices, resources and sequence of activities relevant to Onshore Fabrication/Construction activities of a particular Project or CONTRACT.
PQP / QCP is mainly for ensuring and monitoring that the fabrication is carried out as per contract specifications.
QCP outlines the Quality System for Construction/Fabrication, which will be followed by Contractor for the fabrication and load out of wellhead platforms infrastucture comprising of
- Decks (Topsides),
- Conductors, and
for Oil and Gas FIELD DEVELOPMENT PROJECT in Onshore and Offshore.
Main activities in onshore Fabrication Yard are given as below:
- Construction Project Management: includes Project HSE-Q Management Plan, resource managament, project schedule, project progress, document control center (DCC), etc.
- Fabrication Engineering: design and development, to prepare shop drawing, welding plan / NDT map drawings, cutting plan, Piping support, E&I support drawings etc.
- Procurement activities: purchasing, inspection, test, supply and delivery of materials and equipment.
- Material Control (includes control of Customer Property) : Receipt, acceptance, material identification, handling, storage, preservation, care and custody of procured items / Customer supplied items.
- Material Logistics: follow up with Vendors for inspection , expediting delivery and shipping.
- Pre-fabrication: Materials Preparation (Marking, Cutting, Profiling, Bending & Others)
- Sub assemblies Manufacturing : Fit up and Welding
- QC Inspection: Visual/Dimensional Control & Inspection (to Check and record the dimensions of Products at different stages of Fabrication.), Wedling Inspection, NDE / DE
- Final assemblies Manufacturing: Fit up and Welding
- Post Welding : PWHT, where ever required.
- Testing : Hydrostatic Testing
- Coating : Blasting, Painting/Insulation/Fire Proofing
- Pre commissioning
- Load out
- Sea Fastening
- Certification : Interfacing with Certifying Authority and Marine Warranty Surveyor
- Quality Assurance : NCR control, CA/PA, Lesson learned, Customer Feedbacks/Complaints , Quality Audits, Project Quality System Manual/Procedures, Quality Records, QA Training and Awareness Program.
- MDR / As Built Dossiers : Provision of final documentation as per Customer specifications.
One of the most important process on jacket fabrication is Jacket Weighing. The weighing will be conducted at the structure final assembly location before the load-out when all components are being installed in proper position.
The objective of the weighing is to determine:
- actual total weight of the structure
- determine its plan location of the centre of gravity
Typical Project Documentation consists of:
- Fabrication Procedure for the project
- Shop drawings
- Document Register
- Project Schedule
- QA/QC Procedures + Certificates (Personnel & Equipment as applicable)
- HSE Procedures
- WPS/PQR/WQT documents
- Inspection & Test Plans for different disciplines
- Inspection & Test Records (ITRs)
- Material and Welding Traceability Records
- Final Documentation refer to CONTRACT Specifications / Requirements.
Video: “Mumbai High North MNP Jacket” (Courtesy of L&T Ltd and animation by Anthelion Technology )
We can see within the film,
- Jacket ((8 Legged ~54 high) fabrication sequence
- jacket and piles transfer from assembly area to jetty
- jacket and piles load out onto cargo barge
- sea fastening
- towing / offshore transportation
- offshore installation
Uploaded in YouTube by Anthelion Technology on 23 Apr 2013.
Description of video:
L&T offers a full range of facilities and equipment for oil & gas production, processing and transportation in association with world leaders. Engineering, Procurement and Construction solutions are offered to customers in India and abroad.
The film describes the Fabrication, Transportation and Installation of 13,500 MT MNP Jacket on which the MNP Platform rests. Its a part of the Mumbai High North Project undertaken by L&T Ltd (OGSP Division) for Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
Location: South Bassein Gas Field (North-West of Mumbai)
Anthelion Technology has shown in exact details, all the steps involved in the entire process. Such a presentation is a Visual Archive of complex engineering projects that engineering companies can develop for marketing, branding and media activities.
The video is a property of L&T Ltd and Anthelion Technology has developed this video. They have showcased it here only for presenting L&T skill set.
Related Links :
References / read more :
- ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System – Requirements
- ISO 10006:2003 Quality Management Systems- Guidlines for Management in Projects
- ISO 10005:2005 Quality Management Systems- Guidelines for Quality Plans
- L&T Ltd (OGSP Division) , http://www.lntenc.com/lntenc/vedp/ogsp.jsp
- Anthelion Technology , http://www.antheliontechnology.com/
- KVAERNER, http://www.kvaerner.com/
- Oil platform , http://en.wikipedia.org/