Piping generally refers to Piping Engineering. It is an application of Mechanical and Chemical engineering principles, which deals with Design, Analysis, Installation, Testing, Commissioning and Maintenance of Piping System.
Industrially, all piping activities are performed with the compliance and guidelines of International and Industrial Codes & Standards as well as the laws and regulations of respective local authority.
Piping System is a network of Pipes by using Pipe Fittings and other special components to perform the required mode of transferring fluids (Liquids/ Gas/ Slurry) from one location to another location.
The Design of Process Piping Systems
The design of piping systems shall provide for the most severe condition of coincident loadings due to temperature, pressure and forces except specified specifically.
Where two or more conditions occur they shall be separately evaluated using the appropriate design pressure, design temperature and loadings applicable to each case.
The most severe condition is that which results in the greatest required component thickness and highest component rating.
In accordance with EEMUA 153 : 1996 Appendix SA, what is the lowest temperature at which carbon steel pipes to BS 3603, hot finished seamless, 430 LT, 114.3 mm outside diameter and nominal wall thickness 5.6 mm, joined by butt welds may be used in
(a) as-welded condition?
(b) post-weld heat treated condition?
Quality Assurance Audit for Piping Fabrication
The EPCI Contractor shall carry out a sufficient number of audit visits prior and during the fabrication of process piping for oil and gas EPCI Project.
The aim of audit is to give confidence to organization / CUSTOMER that the activities (or processes) under the EPCI CONTRACT will be planned, executed, monitored and recorded in a controlled manner to meet all contractual requirements to CUSTOMER full satisfaction, especially for the operability of the deliverables with due respect to Health, Safety and Environment in operating conditions.
QA/QC Engineer in charge of the audit is primarily due to check during his visit, as minimum as applicable, but not limited, as below :
- Particular data of manufacturer
- Quality assurance / quality control system
- Engineering control
- Procurement practices
- Fabrication control (welding standards and welding control)
- Inspection procedures, traceability and reports
- Material receiving , handling , preservation and storage
- Non destructive examination (NDT) and destructive testing (DT)
- Control of monitoring and measuring device (Measurement instrumentation, tool and gage control)
- Non conforming material control (NCR)
- Corrective Action / Preventive Action / Improvement
ISO19011 Guidelines for auditing
QA Audit on Piping Fabrication is second party audit, an audits conducted by customers (CONTRACTOR) on their suppliers .
— the scope has been broadened from the auditing of quality and environmental management systems to the auditing of any management systems;
— remote audit methods and the concept of risk have been introduced;
— confidentiality has been added as a new principle of auditing;
— additional information has been included in a new Annex B, resulting in the removal of help boxes;
— the competence determination and evaluation process has been strengthened;
— illustrative examples of discipline-specific knowledge and skills have been included in a new Annex A;
— additional guidelines are available at the following website: www.iso.org/19011auditing.
References / read more :
- ISO 9001:2008 Quality management system requirements
- ISO 19011:2011 Guidelines for Quality and or Environmental Managment Systems Auditing (https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:19011:ed-2:v1:en)
- EEMUA Supplement to ASME B31.3 – 1996 Edition, PROCESS PIPING, Publication No. 153 : 1996.
- Quality audit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_audit)
- Piping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piping)
Related links :
- The continual improvement of internal quality auditing process based on PDCA approach (https://ngsuyasa.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/the-continual-improvement-of-internal-quality-auditing-process-based-on-pdca-approach/)
- Pelatihan “Internal Quality Audit ISO 9001:2008″ (https://ngsuyasa.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/pelatihan-internal-quality-audit-iso-90012008/)