Utilization of natural gas reserves are quite large in Indonesia has yet to be done optimally to meet domestic energy needs. This is because of the lack of infrastructure to distribute the gas to the user. With the FSRU development and operation is expected to play a direct role in addressing the issue of gas supply needs for electricity generation (as PLN the main priority at this time) and then are expected to contribute in the industrial sectors.
PGN is currently developing two major plans in meeting the energy needs of Indonesia through the development of Floating Storage Regasification Unit (FSRU) in Muara Karang, West Java, and Lampung , South Sumatra (relocated from Belawan, North Sumatra). FSRU development is the answer for the geographical area of Indonesia as an archipelago . Next, the natural gas exist in their source will be compressed in the form of LNG and can be transported via ship or other transportation. PGN FSRU development is a basic milestone in the development of natural gas infrastructure in Indonesia. This is in accordance with the ideals of PGN into the age of the pipeline beyond.
In the past, Golar Spirit is chartered and operated by Pertamina then followed by PGN to operate FSRU Jawa Barat.
FSRU Jawa Barat is the first FSRU which is operated by PGN in Indonesia. The second FSRU which will be operated by PGN is FSRU Lampung.
Acronym / Definition :
FSRU – Floating Storage and Regasification Unit (LNG production plant)
FSRU Lampung :
Picture – “PGN FSRU Lampung” under construction at Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, Korea. (Posted by Höegh LNG of Norway / http://www.lngworldnews.com)
If in accordance with the plan, PT Perusahaan Gas negara (Persero) Tbk. (PGN) will operate the FSRU Lampung starting in late 2014.
FSRU Lampung is under construction at Hyundai Heavy Industries shipyard in Ulsan, South Korea (keel laying on Feb 2013).
Investment of this FSRU is estimated about US$ 250 million up to US$ 300 million.
FSRU Lampung is built with a storage capacity of up to 170,000 m3. This FSRU has a capacity send out rate of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to 240 million cubic feet per day (MMSCFD). FSRU Lampung with a capacity of 170 thousand metric tons, becoming the biggest FSRU in Indonesia.
Originally FSRU will be operated at the site of Belawan, North Sumatra. However, BUMN Minister Dahlan Iskan decided for relocating to Lampung. Based on that decision, on October 17, 2012 PGN with a consortium of PT Rekayasa Industri (Rekind) and Hoegh LNG Limited (Hoegh) signed an amendment and restatement umbrella agreement related to the relocation.
FSRU Jawa Barat :
Currently Pertamina together PGN through PT Nusantara Regas operate the FSRU Jawa Barat.
FSRU Jawa Barat built with a capacity of 3 million tons of LNG per year, equivalent to the distribution of 400 million cubic feet of natural gas per day (MMSCFD) which to be used for electricity generation at Muara Karang and Tanjung Priok, Jakarta.
Nusantara Regas is a joint venture of Pertamina (60 percent) and Perusahaan Gas Negara (40 percent).
PT Pertamina ( Persero ) and PT PGN ( Persero ) Tbk formed PT Nusantara Regas on April 14, 2010 in Jakarta with shareholding of 60% by Pertamina and 40 % by PGN. PLN will only become a major consumer of gas LNG regasification results of PT Nusantara Regas .
Initially planned to build an Land Based LNG Receiving Terminal.
However, after in-depth assessment of particular target date for completion , has resulted in the conclusion that the construction of Floating Storage & Regasification Unit ( FSRU ) is more advantageous when compared to Land -Based LNG receving Terminal because it has a number of advantages as follows :
- Use proven technology with fairly short construction period is two years .
- Potential problems arising from land acquisition program can be avoided .
- License does not require a long time .
- More economical compared to Land -Based receiving LNG Terminal .
- Not require many facilities on land , so that the safety and security aspects are easier to control .
- Possible removal process LNG from the LNG carrier ships at sea can be done so it does not need the dock .
- Easier mobilized to another place when it is not needed anymore .
- Lower environmental impact .
Reported that British Petroleum (BP) Indonesia sent cargo of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Tangguh, West Papua, to Floating Storage and Regasification Unit (FSRU) Jawa Barat which is operated by PT Nusantara Regas. This delivery is the company’s commitment to increase LNG shipments to domestic needs. (Metrotvnews.com, Jakarta, 10/27/2013)
The First Indonesia FSRU :
Golar Spirit is a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU). It is the world’s first FSRU converted from an liquified natural gas (LNG) carrier.
- Golar Spirit was built by the Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation in 1981 as an LNG carrier.
- It was the first Japan-built and first Asia-built LNG carrier.
- In 1986, Golar Spirit was chartered for twenty years by Indonesian oil and gas company Pertamina. It served the line delivering LNG from Indonesia to Japan.
- The FSRU Golar Spirit operates at a jetty to which it is moored.
- LNG is transported to the FSRU by LNG carriers, that berth to the other side of the jetty.
- The LNG is vaporized in the onboard regasification system, which enables the FSRU to provide natural gas to the onshore consumers (power plants).
FSRU consists of :
- It is a steel mono hull with LNG tanks arranged in the middle,
- with the re-gasification plant in the forward section and
- crew facilities with control room and utility machinery in the aft section.
The engineering of the regasification system and the tanks were provided by Moss Maritime of Norway. The Norwegian company Bjørge engineered its pressure protection system through its subsidiary Solberg & Andersen.
Golar Spirit is equipped with
- a regasification system comprising high pressure LNG pumps,
- cryogenic LNG vaporizers and associated valves,
- piping and,
LNG pumps are provided by Shinko, while LNG vaporizers are provided by Thermax (www.thermaxinc.com). The vaporizers use steam generated by the onboard existing steam boilers.
The design pressure of the vaporizers exceeds 85 bars (8,500 kPa). Each vaporiser with wall thickness of over 55 millimeters (2.2 in) is over 8 meters (26 ft) long and weighs in excess of 5.5 metric tons (6.1 short tons).
The regasification capacity of the Golar Spirit is 7 million cubic meters per day (250×106 cu ft/d) (over 240 metric tons or 260 short tons of LNG per hour), and its storage capacity is 129 thousand cubic meters (4.6×106 cu ft) of LNG, equivalent to 77 million cubic meters (2.7×109 cu ft) of natural gas.
Det Norske Veritas has issued a Statement of Approval of the Regasification Plant and Interim Class Certificate confirming the REGAS-2 Class notation.
Video: “Energy Nusantara LNG and FSRU”
Video uploaded in YouTube by Joi Surya Dharma on 27 Jan 2012
Indonesian gas field which is located far from power plants and industry, requires adequate infrastructure, such as transmission and distribution pipelines and LNG Receiving Terminal (RT LNG). Market needs and technological developments (offshore engineering) fueled the more flexible RT LNG technology is Floating Storage Regasification Unit is (FSRU). Currently the Government through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) has programmed three (3) FSRU projects to overcome energy crisis (gas). The FSRU planned to be operated in West Java and Medan (relocated to Lampung).
Lapangan gas Indonesia yang terletak jauh dari pembangkit listrik dan industri, membutuhkan infrastruktur yang memadai, seperti jaringan pipa transmisi dan distribusi serta LNG Receiving Terminal (LNG RT). Kebutuhan pasar serta perkembangan teknologi memicu lahirnya teknologi LNG RT yang lebih fleksibel yaitu Floating Storage Regasification Unit (FSRU). Saat ini Pemerintah melalui Kementerian Energi dan Sumber Daya Mineral (ESDM) telah memprogramkan 3 (tiga) proyek FSRU guna mengatasi krisis energi (gas). Ketiga FSRU tersebut direncanakan akan dioperasikan di Jawa Barat dan Medan (direlokasi ke Lampung).
Video : “Indonesia Floating LNG Receiving Unit (FSRU) Visit, 5 June 2013, – FSRU Jawa Barat”
Video uploaded in YouTube by Joi Surya Dharma on 10 Jul 2013.
This FSRU Visit was conducted as the end part of the 3 day LNG Business Workshop Series on 3-5 June 2013.
LNG Business Workshop by Energy Nusantara – Indonesia’s Leading Energy Network. Find out more: http://www.energynusantara.com/about
What is LNG FSRU ? (This additional paragraph was inserted by Mande on 02/02/2014)
LNG is natural gas chilled to condensing into a liquid to reduce the size of the volume so that it can be economically transported over long distances.
LNG has a temperature of about -160 ° C and has a volume of size 600 times smaller when compared to the situation in the gas phase.
LNG is an alternative way of shipping natural gas from its source in the field of gas to gas users.
On the user side of the LNG will be returned to its initial phase, namely the gas phase before being used as fuel or feed for an industrial production process.
LNG FSRU is an infrastructure that has a gas storage facilities and regasification vessel-based, which allows the LNG is returned into the gas phase above the LNG vessel that has been modified in such a way.
— in Bahasa Indonesia —
LNG adalah gas alam yang didinginkan sampai terkondensasi menjadi cair untuk mengurangi ukuran volumenya sehingga dapat secara ekonomis ditransportasikan pada jarak yang jauh.
LNG memiliki temperature sekitar -160 oC dan memiliki ukuran volume 600 kali lebih kecil bila dibandingkan keadaannya pada fase gas.
LNG merupakan cara alternatif pengiriman gas alam dari sumbernya di lapangan gas kepada pengguna gas.
Di sisi pengguna LNG akan kembalikan ke fase awalnya yaitu fase gas yaitu sebelum digunakan sebagai bahan bakar atau umpan bagi proses produksi suatu industri.
LNG FSRU merupakan sarana yang memiliki fasilitas penyimpanan gas dan regasifikasi berbasis kapal, yang memungkinkan LNG dikembalikan menjadi fase gas di atas kapal LNG yang telah dimodifikasi sedemikian rupa.
Related Links :
- Introduction on Natural Gas, LPG, LNG, .. (https://ngsuyasa.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/an-introduction-to-natural-gas-lpg-lng-and-cpg/)
References / read more :
- “PGN Menyambut Era gas Terapung” , Bisnis Indonesia , Page 15, 20 jan 2014.
- FSRU (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Floating+Storage+and+Regasification+Unit)
- Golar Spirit – the world’s first FSRU ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golar_Spirit )
- Sejarah dan profil PT Nusantara Regas (http://www.nusantararegas.com/id/profile/history/ )
- Nusantara Regas Atasi Kesulitan Pasokan Gas PLN (http://listrikindonesia.com/nusantara_regas__atasi_kesulitan_pasokan_gas_pln_226.htm )
- Masih Banyak PR Pertamina di BBM (http://www.metrotvnews.com/metronews/read/2013/12/12/2/200944/Masih-Banyak-PR-Pertamina-di-BBM )
- West Java FSRU receives commissioning cargo (http://member.zeusintel.com/ZLNGR/news_details.aspx?newsid=26803 )
- Peran PGN Wujudkan Kemandirian Energi Bangsa (http://tyastmikpringsewu.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/peran-pgn-wujudkan-kemandirian-energi-bangsa/ )
- BP Kirim Gas Alam Cair ke Jawa Barat (http://www.metrotvnews.com/metronews/read/2013/10/27/2/190734/BP-Kirim-Gas-Alam-Cair-ke-Jawa-Barat )
- Video “Energy Nusantara LNG and FSRU” , (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmSyTt5PV8)
- Terminal LNG Terapung Terbesar di RI Beroperasi 2014 (FSRU Lampung) , http://berita.plasa.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=253032814
- PGN FSRU Lampung , http://www.lngworldnews.com/picture-of-the-day-pgn-fsru-lampung/
- Video – Indonesia Floating LNG Receiving Unit (FSRU) Visit, 5 June 2013, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2bNVQNLJJk