The use of floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) and shuttle tankers continue to increase as oil and gas producers are increasingly penetrated into deeper waters.
Floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) :
Picture-2 : Special purpose ship
A floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) unit is a floating vessel used by the offshore oil and gas industry for the processing of hydrocarbons and for storage of oil.
An FPSO vessel is designed to receive hydrocarbons produced from nearby platforms or subsea template, process them, and store oil until it can be offloaded onto a tanker or, less frequently, transported through a pipeline.
FPSO Diagram :
Picture-3 : FPSO Diagram (from the Wikimedia Commons)
- Move towards Deepwater
- Continuing expansion in use of Subsea Production
- Emphasis on fast track developments: Early Production Systems
- Exploitation of marginal fields & isolated fields
- Stranded Gas Monetisation
- Development Hubs
- LNG FPSOs
Key components and processes
- Hull: Provides storage and buoyancy, primarily constructed with steel plates
- Risers: provides connection from subsea manifolds to FPSO
- Mooring: Turret, Spread or DP
- Topsides: process plants on deck based on reservoir characteristics and environmental factors
- Offloading System: normally undertaken through flexible hoses to shuttle tanker
FPSO Projects in Indonesia
Here is a brief overview of several FPSO projects in Indonesia.
Belanak Oil and gas Field FPSO
INPEX entered into a production sharing contract (PSC) with the Indonesian Government in October 1966, at that time acquiring a 100% participating interest in the Offshore Mahakam Block. In July 1977, INPEX acquired a 17.5% participating interest in the South Natuna Sea Block B. Later, in January 1994, INPEX increased its total participating interest in the block to 35% with the urchase of an additional 17.5% interest. Crude oil production began in 1979, and supplies of natural gas to Singapore via Indonesia’s first international pipeline commenced in 2001. Additional deliveries of natural gas from this pipeline to Malaysia started in 2002. These supply milestones contributed to the extension of the PSC covering the block until 2028. Production operations in the Belanak oil and gas field, which is part of South Natuna, utilize a world-class floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) system.
Ande Ande Lumut oil field FPSO
The Indonesian government approved the acquisition of 50% participating interest in the Northwest Natuna PSC that the transfer function of the operator in the Work Area of the Northwest Natuna AWE to Santos. Santos gained approval of the transfer of Participating Interest of the Director General of Oil and Gas on behalf of the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources on October 17, 2013, while the Agreement on the transfer function of the operator AWE to Santos provided by SKK Migas on 7 November 2013. With the transfer, the participating interest holders in the Northwest Natuna PSC is Santos 50% (Operator), and Australia Worldwide Exploration, Ltd. (AWE) 50%.
Santos has had a lot of experience in developing and operating the oil field development project with a floating production facility (FPSO).
In the Work Area Northwest Natuna field there are still not developed that Ande Ande Lumut, which according to independent studies, contains Proven and Probable Reserves (Proved and Probable/2P) approximately 100 million barrels of oil.
Ande Ande Lumut field was discovered in April 2000 and subsequently drilled two appraisal wells in 2006. Development plan which will be implemented by installing an offshore wellhead platform (well-head platform) and 1 unit of floating production storage and offloading (FPSO).
Santos Ltd., the exploration and production of oil and gas from Australia, targeting a final investment decision (FID) for the Ande Ande Lumut field in 2014.
Madura field FPSO
Bumi Armada Bhd, provider of international offshore oil field based in Malaysia, is known to have won the tender for the procurement Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FSPO) Madura. Tender worth approximately U.S. $ 400 million was made by Husky Energy is the operator of the field on the island.
For Madura Field, before the development of this project was delayed due to funding issues but then Husky decided to continue. To win this project, the Bumi Armada Bhd had to contend with Ezra and BW Offshore.
Abadi field FLNG project in the Masela
Processing natural gas (LNG) are now no longer processed on land (onshore) but also directly be processed by the ship floating on the sea (floating LNG / FLNG) or Floating Production Storage Offloading (FPSO) or the like. Oil and gas lifted and immediately processed on the FPSO and FLNG or later explored by ship to the buyer.
Indoneosia is currently preparing the first FLNG project, the project Abadi field in the Masela. Development Masela still delayed and new possibilities onstream in 2018 or 2019. It was still awaiting a decision or request relevant government signals Inpex, as operator, to extend the contract Masela after 2028.
Bukit Tua field FPSO in Ketapang Block
Keppel Shipyards Singapore-based company won the contract from Malaysia, M3nergy Offshore, for Floating Production Storage Offloading regeneration (FPSO) for the development of deepwater projects in Indonesia.
M3nergy Keppel Offshore contract is to convert the FPSO for Bukit Tua field. Scheduled for completion in the second quarter of 2014, the FPSO has been contracted by the PC Ketapang II Ltd. for its operations in the Bukit Tua field, about 35 kilometers off the northern coast of Madura.
Field FPSO conversion contract for Bukit Tua in Ketapang Block, awarded to the consortium of PT Trasamudra Usaha Sejahtera – M3nergy Offshore Ltd. M3nergy Offshore is a subsidiary M3nergy Berhad. The FPSO will have a production capacity of more than 25,000 barrels per day (bpd) of liquid and storage capacity of up to 630,000 barrels.
Video -1 : “FPSO Armada Perdana” (Courtesy of Bumi Armada Ltd.)
Uploaded to YouTube by Kamarul A on 8 Nov 2009.
Video Description : Bumi Armada’s second FPSO was completed in record time of 18 months and is currently operation in The OYO Field, offshore Nigeria
Video-2: “FPSO Training Courses – London, Rio, Paris, Milan, Houston”
Uploaded to YouTube by EnergyEventTV on 13 Jul 2011.
For more detail:
Video-3: “DSME LNG FPSO” (Courtesy of DSME)
Uploaded to YouTube by DSMEPR on 30 Des 2011.
DSME is one of the world’s biggest shipbuilding and offshore company. Started in 1973 at Okpo Bay, Geoje Island, located on the southeastern tip of the Korean Peninsula, the shipyard of DSME was completed in 1981. DSME has since grown into the world’s premium shipbuilding and offshore contractor who is specialized in building various vessels, offshore platforms, drilling rigs, FPSO/FPUs, submarines, and destroyers.
In this video the following things are shown,
- Step-by-step construction of the LNG FPSO (eg hull construction and assembly)
- Hull launching
- Installation of modules
- FPSO and subsea systems
- Robust turret system
- Basic principles of each system in the main modules
- Operability principles and maintenability (eg material handling)
References / read more / related links :
- Floating production storage and offloading , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_production_storage_and_offloading
- Analysts eye FPSO boom , http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article130961.ece
- South Natuna Sea Block B , http://www.inpex.co.jp/english/business/indonesia.html
- Santos Peroleh Participating Interest di Blok Northwest Natuna , http://jaringnews.com/ekonomi/umum/52161/santos-peroleh-participating-interest-di-blok-northwest-natuna
- Santos Ambil Alih Blok Northwest Natuna , http://www.metrotvnews.com/metronews/read/2013/11/25/2/196818/Santos-Ambil-Alih-Blok-Northwest-Natuna
- Santos Resmi Garap Blok Nortwest Natuna , http://www.tempo.co/read/news/2013/11/25/092532386/Santos-Resmi-Garap-Blok-Northwest-Natuna
- Bumi Armada Menangi Tender FSPO Madura , http://migasreview.com/bumi-armada-menangi-tender-fspo-madura.html
- Keppel Peroleh Kontrak FPSO dari Indonesia, Meksiko , http://migasreview.com/keppel-peroleh-kontrak-fpso-dari-indonesia-meksiko.html
- Industri Migas Indonesia dan Transfer Teknologi , http://nusantara-satu.blogspot.com/2014_01_01_archive.html
- 2014, Target FID untuk Ande Ande Lumut , http://migasreview.com/2014-target-fid-untuk-ande-ande-lumut.html
- The FPSO Community , http://www.fpsoasia.com/Event.aspx?id=436616&MAC=12021.005_OMBA
Read more …